Pages

Saturday, July 24, 2010

dreams

Monday morning update.click to read .....
And also here on a dedicated website.
This is another Sepia Saturday post!Yesterday I was busy uploading some more photos to the facebook page OLD PHOTOS OF HALIFAX.
Mostly , they are scans of slides taken by the late Harold Illingworth.He was a gent who  lived next door to my Mum when she lived on Clover Hill,Halifax in the 1980s..
In the 1970's Halifax had a large rebuilding programme.Harold  made a point of wandering the town & capturing buildings before the bulldozers arrived.
By chance, he took many photos of a part of the town i knew as a child.
For example.Here is Elsie Whitley's Mill.This is the route i walked as a toddler to Infant School.
I went through a phase where every morning  I played a game of not walking on the cracks in the pavement for fear "The Devil Would Get Me".
Over the years I have a recurring dream where I  still travel on these roads.You know how in dreams places are both familiar yet changed?This is very much a template for them.
Ironically, This mill wasnt knocked down.It still stands.I'm never sure why he took this one.Maybe someone changed their mind?
[p.s. after writing above, I looked up on the Internet what goes on inside The Old Mill now.Irony! It's currently  (among other things) the HQ of The Calderdale Safeguarding Children Board! Devils Take Note!]
p.p.s. while on the subject of my birthplace of Halifax.I read this bizarre +macabre story in the local paper 2 days ago.Weird but true!

20 comments:

Crystal Mary said...

A wonderful old building that looks caught in time. I bet it holds lots of secrets...If wall could talk hey..
Would live to see inside.

Zuzana said...

I dream that way too, mixing familiar and foreign (imagination?) and the present with the past.
Beautiful photograph - love the blurry detail.;)
Have a great Saturday Tony,
xoxo

Brian Miller said...

glad the devil has not got you...smiles. i remember streets of my youth as well....love the header shot tony...most excellent...

Xmichra said...

That was a really great thought of Harold, to take the pictures of places well walked. Sure, monumnets and the like are easily recognised to all, but the streets of our youths can capture far better in our memory.

The dream is kinda funny. I was told that if you were to 'step on the crack, you'd break your mothers back', so i was equally affraid of landing on them ;)

Roy said...

Nice! Hmmmmm... Maybe I should go stalking the town with my camera to catch old buildings.

Kat said...

That sidewalk game is distinctly British! We never played that here. Although, I think my mother may have played it down east in Nova Scotia in the 30s.
Nice photo!

(I've got enough to keep up with for SS without you posting twice, by the way. ha ha I hope this doesn't set any precedents!)

Kat

Meri said...

I know a young man who's moving into an old mill that wasn't knocked down. It's in Ellicott City, Maryland and has been converted into gorgeous, modern loft apartments.

ArtSparker said...

In the U.S:

Step on a crack,
Break your mother's back.

Kurt said...

Isn't that in Canada?

Martin H. said...

I was told off by my three year old granddaughter, recently, for stepping on the cracks.

Gruesome story about the sewer proposal!

tony said...

Kurt.the Canadian one is an imposter!

Nancy said...

Interesting photo, how it's bluish and half in focus and half not. It's a beautiful building. I'm so glad they didn't tear it down. It is interesting how dreams alter what we know and include what we don't. Gruesome idea to liquify the dead. I wouldn't want it for anyone I know!

Christine H. said...

I love the effect of the blurriness on top, presumably not on purpose, but all that much more wonderful.

Eric S. said...

Great photo, I like the effects on the upper portion. Had to laugh at the sidewalk game. An interesting idea, to walk around taking pictures of builds soon to be gone, even if they don't finally fall under the wrecking ball.

white rabbit said...

Off topic but I just noticed your traffic counter!

BLimey! That's a lot! But you deserve it.

:D

Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

A great use of Facebook and Blogger. I especially like the photos of "Millionaire Mr. Shaw" smoking a cigar and enjoying a beer.

Pat said...

Isn't this is a first, 2nd Sepia for same Saturday for you!? Interesting to have photos of old bldgs. I often snap photos today of ones still standing from the 1800's who knows what will happen tomorrow with them. It is eery that you have your "street of dreams" on record from years back, in black and white!

John Hayes said...

Great post! I had a bunch of those sort of those types of games, too--in my case, perhaps the harbinger of later obsessive tendencies! I love the photo. In my case, my dreams often return to a house that, in my dream, I know is very familiar but that I can never place when I awaken. It always has similar characteristics, & makes me wonder if it's something I remember from infancy.

L. D. Burgus said...

The special effects created on your photo are wonderful.

Alan Burnett said...

Ah such things can only happen in Halifax. On the subject of Elsie's Mill, some years ago I was on the board of an organisation called "Action Halifax" (I always thought the name of the organisation was something of a contradiction in terms but didn't see it as my place to suggest it be so) when we managed to save the building and convert it to more modern use. As Sir Christopher Wren said, "for my memorial look at Elsie's Mill"