Pages

Friday, August 03, 2012

the modest olympians

Don.Thanks for the email.Lets do Manchester Through the day soon? (I can get an old Peoples Cheap Cinema ticket now!)
This is a Sepia Saturday post. This photograph was published in Sydney newspapers in 1933, apparently at the behest of the then Commissioner of Police to demonstrate to a sceptical press and public that police could in fact operate undercover. This was apparently in answer to a suggestion that so distinctive was the build of the average detective, effective undercover work was out of the question. The men seen here are a mix of detectives and civilians. The figure third from the right is believed to be Sergeant Frank Fahy, aka “The Shadow”, the force’s most effective undercover operative at the time.{from:}
 A Little Experiment! My Blog Post Is In Audio This Week! Click Below To Hear...... Bench Post 3rd August 2012 by tony zimnoch
 Lord! What is this? No doubt in about (say) 5 years Will Self's biography of me will explain the full contextual reasons for me choosing to share Robert Wyatt's gold medal performance of "The Red Flag" here.Hell, every bugger else gets to fly their flag at the moment Why Not Me Too???,non? Anyway.Thanks to those at work who got me 12 bottles of BareArts of Todmorden Real Ale for my 60th Birthday.(& Stan ,for other medicines....)I am working my way through them now......All Which might explain ...... 2 Further miscellaneous things to tell you about this week.......Firstly .an interesting autobiography:

“We used to have cabinet makers and tailors and music halls. Now we have a big Olympic stadium. I’m not sure about it. There’s a man I know and his son helped build the Olympics. Now the son is redundant. They make people redundant when they don’t want them no more. Once something’s done, it’s done. What’s going to happen after the races are finished?”
***
“When I get trouble with my chest I have to stand still. Last Saturday, a woman come up to me and said “Are you OK?” and I said, “Why?” She said, “Because you are standing still.” I said, “Oh.” She said she comes from Italy and she is Scots-Canadian, and do you know what? She wanted to help me. Then I dropped a twenty pound note on the bus. A foreign man – I think he was Dutch or French – said, “Mate, you’ve dropped a twenty pound note.” English people don’t do that because they have got betting habits. They take your twenty pounds and go and put it on the horses. It’s good to have all sorts of foreigners here.”
***

Also check my Hebden Bridge blog regarding a local company that creates inflatable crowds for Hollywood movies.Which now confuses me when I see those vast Olympic crowds on telly.Are they real or just a bunch of dummies from Hebden?

29 comments:

Kristin said...

I want to add voices to my blog! How do you do it?

tony said...

Hi Kristin, Its not complicated.Recording needs to be digital.You need some sort of device which has a memory card in it.I use a camcorder that has a audio-only option.Given all that,you can download to something like "soundcloud" which is free + they give you a code to transfer it to your blog.Let me know how you get on (my email is zmnsnt@aol.com).I look forward to hearing from you!

tony said...

Does anyone know of any software that transfers audio speech into text?

Food Smarts said...

I really enjoyed listening to your thoughts about blogging - I was laughing out loud at the funny bits. The undercover police picture is hilarious. Sorry turning 60 was traumatic - better days ahead.

One Fly said...

I knew you were were going to sound just like you do.

Teresa Evangeline said...

I loved hearing more of your voice. I had only heard a tiny bit when you were getting out of your car during that heavy rain. It's nice to put a voice with a blogging pal. I like that.
As far as blogging goes, I respond when I feel like there's something I want to respond to and let the rest go. It should not be cumbersome, but fun. I think they call it "No Obligation Blogging."

tony said...

Teresa X

Brian Miller said...

that is pretty cool actually and i wonder if he made his point with the picture....ha was fun to hear your voice...talking to yourself in the car...act normal...smiles...there was a time when i posted daily as well...haha on swapping sports in the olympics as well...that would def be interesting....

Martin said...

Good to hear you, Tony. An interesting experiment. I can see a few bloggers trying this out, now.

Titania said...

Tony, it was nice to hear your voice, very nice one too! I agree, can't see Miss Phillips in a boxing ring.. sorry to hear your entry into the sixties was a bit turbulent, from there it only can get better.

Little Nell said...

That picture of detectives with masks is actually qute threatening I think. As for athlestes with bags over their heads :)

I've used Dragon Dictation as a free app but there's a paid version. It works reasonably well but you still have to go in and correct it.

Wendy said...

I'm amazed that someone decided to take a picture of undercover cops. Seems like a funny thing to do. Your audio clip was interesting too. I'm not sure my voice would add anything to my blog, but yours definitely did.

Peter said...

I must say that first picture looks a bit like a KKK-meeting. It's a bit scary. But it is a great picture!
I also liked your audio experiment. I predict many followers.

Kurt said...

It sounds like you speak with an accent.

tony said...

Ah nivva realised ah spoke wi' eur accen'tli'.mebbee this wood elp thee Kurt?online Yorkshire translator

Bob Scotney said...

Your comments about the Olympics are spot on. I get the impression that some presnters/interviewers just don't have a clue and have forgotten what the running, jumping etc is about.
Interesting to hear your Tony. You may have started a new trend.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Great picture ... love how they are still undercover, wearing those hankies over their faces to protect their identities.

It was fun to hear you talk. Great idea!

Kathy M.

(Queenmothermamaw) Peggy said...

You sound like a jolly nice bloke. Is that the proper way to say it? What a creative idea, yes many will try that now. You sound like me talking to myself. No obligation blogging that is the key. Just do your thing. You are quite young compared to yours truly.
QMM

Postcardy said...

It was fun listening to your voice. It was actually more interesting than a video of someone talking. I think my phone will record audio, but I don't think I or anyone else would like to listen.

Mike Brubaker said...

Tony I think the software you're looking for is called an "amanuensis" or personal secretary. Someone to sit in the passenger seat and take dictation.

A neat experiment in stream of conscience. I really liked the other links too. I used to walk through Spitalfields regularly so I've bookmarked it. And the idea that Britain has cornered the market in inflatable crowds is too funny.

Sharon said...

What an interesting idea with the voice recording. I wont be trying it as I hate the sound of my own voice.
Quite often you hear the voice of a person over the phone and when you see them, they look entirely different to how you imagined them. Whilst seeing your picture first and then hearing your voice, it suits perfectly :)

Little Nell said...

Tony I've just updated my iMac to Mountain Lion (the latest OS) and it has Dictation built in. I just tried it out and it wasn't bad actually. If you aren't on a Mac of course.......why not? :)

Akelamalu said...

You sound just as I imagined! :)

barbara and nancy said...

What a small world it is. I was sitting here in Calif. reading and listening to your blog and what to my surprise was a photo at the bottom of your post by my daughter's ex-boyfriend, Martin Usborne.
He's a wonderful photographer and a really funny guy. I'm so upset that he and my daughter never got together. I wanted him as a son-in-law!
Nancy

tony said...

Nancy, wow! That is really an amazing coincidence.I just came across the link by chance.yes, he IS a fine photographer.

Alan Burnett said...

Just listened to the broadcast and thorouly enjoyed it. Can it be translated into a podcast so I can download it and listen whilst I walk Amy. Better still add a bit of music (you always introduce me to new and excellent music) Is this the start of Radio Zimnoch?

TICKLEBEAR said...

But you started your post mentioning rebates... It is good, no?!?
;)~
Loved this post!!
:)~
HUGZ

Zuzana said...

Hi Tony, you sound so very English, hihi.;) I have heard you talk before though; I think you have once posted an old video.;)
I once posted daily too, then it became every second day, then twice a week and now only once if I am lucky, hehe. I guess I have gotten a life. As for blogging being egoistic, I think that is ok - I mean it is an online dairy, so what else shoudl we write abut if not ourselves, our impressions and contemplations.;)
Love this voice blogging idea, one can just lean back and listen.
Have a great weekend Tony,
xoxo

Jerry E Beuterbaugh said...

"bench" has been included in the Sites To See for this week. I hope this helps to point many new visitors in your direction.

http://asthecrackerheadcrumbles.blogspot.com/2012/08/sites-to-see_10.html