Pages

Friday, October 19, 2012

breaking rocks in the hot sun

Mark Tyndall  , Rochdale ,at The Manchester Police Museum.

OK.The theme this week is "Coppers"! "The Bizzies" The Good Old"British Bobby" etc etc.I feel a bit of a cheat as I'm sure I've posted this picture  here before. So,Arrest Me Why Dontcha!The image below (it was originally a slide) was taken in the 1960s  by Mr Illingworth (a neighbour of my Mum's)He went around Halifax taking photos of buildings due to be knocked down,This is where they would  break rocks  to build the (then) new Halifax Central Library.

This is a Sepia Saturday post.
My Thanks To Paul At blackwaterdown for a couple of meme-mentions recently.I will try here to answer the questions raised!
"Seven random revelations about me that have some truth to them"
1-During The The Yorkshire Ripper 
Hunt  in the late 70's/early 80's  the gentle author was interviewed by West Yorkshire Police.They came to my Mum & Dad's house in Halifax and talked  for half an hour. Like 1000's of other men who traveled a lot  up & down Northern roads,  We were all  suspects.' never did find out who named me......
2- I was once asked to take part in an Identification Parade by the Metropolitan Police in London.An old bloke had been mugged & I fitted the Bill!
3-Last year I was stopped by the Carabinieri for driving on the back of a quad-bike.I was made to get off & walk 3 miles back alone  to my house near Lanciano
4-I have never been taken to court by the Police other than for the "crime" of driving 35 in a 30 zone in Burnley.And,frankly, wouldnt you?
5- When I was 17  I intended to smuggle a big lump of hashish on the overnight ferry from Amsterdam to the UK.My feet sweated so much that you could smell the dope really strong.I panicked so much that ,just prior to docking,i locked myself in the toilets....washed my feet & flushed the dope down the toilet!
6- I always feel guilty whenever I see a Police uniform .I want to confess to something!
7-     I was once threatened with a gun by a Turkish policeman in Istanbul airport (i was arguing with an airport official who was trying to rip-off my son Chris)      8-i dont have a Criminal Record but I did buy a Gary Glitter 45 when I was a young ,foolish ,kid......

21 comments:

Brian Miller said...

so they knocked down this building and use the stone to build the new one? pretty cool looking place...

Brian Miller said...

and dang man...not sure i want to travel with you even considering your police instances...ha...

TICKLEBEAR said...

"some truth to it"?...
;)~
Love the picture!!
:)~
HUGZ

Peter said...

If the police forces of Europe get their act together and link all their data systems, I'm sure #9 incident will be forthcoming :)
Looking forward to seeing you in an Amsterdam "coffee shop" and have a nice day!
Peter

Bob Scotney said...

Gald you haven't "clashed" too seriously with the law, Tony.

Kurt said...

I sometimes think that a friend and I killed a guy and I've repressed the memory.

tony said...

It would be good topic to bring up at a job interview.......

One Fly said...

Good stuff. You are a bod bod mon Tony.

I stay as far away from these pulice people. And now our populace is packing and encouraged to.

Karen S. said...

Tony, excellent post, great photos (seems new to me!) and I'd never have you arrested, gee we'd miss all your super-duper-incredible posts! I'd hate to think I wouldn't catch another one of your awesome music videos as well! Enjoy your fun-filled-frolics!

Akelamalu said...

LOL you must have 'that sort of face' Tony! I always get searched at airports because my metal knee sets the alarms off. It's a pain in the proverbial.

Wendy said...

Are you the guy my mother warned me about? LOL. Fun post.

Kat Mortensen said...

You DO have rather a checkered past, Tony!
Never been to Burnley, but I think I get you.

Does everyone who visits the Mancs. Police Museum get to wear a hat and carry a truncheon?

Helen Bauch McHargue said...

Tony, you get more interesting with each post. You've had some memorable moments. Love your list of bloggers - it is unusual and eclectic, just like you sound!

Mike Brubaker said...

A true crime story. You probably didn't shoot the sheriff or the deputy either.

dawn-in-nz said...

Is that a photo I see of you in the cabinet in the background Tony? Europe's Most Wanted!

Little Nell said...

So...your smelly feet are what let you down in the end? You could have continued the deception if it were not for extreme nerves and an efficient flushing toilet!

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Wow! Great pictures, but it was fun to learn about your run-ins and close calls with the law, Tony.

That last one would have really been scary. Nobody wants to be inside a Turkish prison, from what I can tell.


Kathy M.

Liz Stratton said...

My few encounters with the law pale by comparison! Used to be an expert at getting out of speeding tickets. Sadly, batting your eyes and smiling is only an option when you are a 20-something girl. Helps to wear tank tops and hot pants. :))))

tony said...

I Will Remember Your Tip Liz!:)

Titania said...

Toni, is it, wanting to confess for not breaking the law?

Teresa Evangeline said...

Somehow, seeing you in a tank top and hot pants is stealing my attention right now....

Love your list and almost run-ins with the law. Alfred Hitchcock's greatest fear was the police! Scary stuff.