Pages

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Goodnight children everywhere........


Older Readers of this blog will remember His Drayness { Full Blog Archive here:} I was at   Teacher Training College/C.F.Mott Liverpool  the same time as him.He's still alive & well and teaching in Indonesia .Witness this photo he sent today.
Unless you've been living on Mars or in the Moreno Valley these past few weeks you will no doubt have heard about the "Jimmy Savile Scandal"that has been much exorcising us Brits. I wont bore you with the sordid details but,.If you must know.....{Catch Up here }
My Thanks to Tim at  Exile on Moan Street for finding this fine piece of writing from today's London Review of Books concerning a broader view of the scandal . Rather than focus on just the pervy DJ himself ,it gives us the broad context of post-war British "Light Entertainment" .A very sordid affair  that continues in today's celebrity-culture as we steal & soil our Childrens dreams.Its a long read (it took me 15 minutes with my lips moving rapidly ) but worth the distance. 
".........................It is becoming clear that Gamlin and his friend at the flat in All Souls Place were not alone in what they were doing. There was at least a third person: Derek McCulloch, ‘Uncle Mac’, the man in charge of Children’s Hour, and the voice of Larry the Lamb inToytown. A veteran of the Somme who lost an eye there, McCulloch lost his left leg in a motor accident in the 1930s. He was famous at the BBC for nearly forty years and can still be heard in the archives introducing young Princess Elizabeth as she delivers her wartime address to the children of Britain. ‘Goodnight children, everywhere,’ was Uncle Mac’s catchprase............................." Andrew O'Hagan:{Read In Full} Phil Philip Charles Dray Indonesia Jakata

12 comments:

savannah said...

i have to admit that given the chaos that is the us of a right now, i have not followed the scandal in the uk. (nor do i live in moreno valley. one day you'll have to share why you chose that particle place...) but i digress i'll read the link you posted and then perhaps, i'll understand why the children in the pic you psted all have a little moustache. xoxoxoxo

(i'm trying to get back to actually reading blogs and not on my reader, sugar! drop by one day.) xoxox

tony said...

'Not Sure About Mustaches either!Why Moreno Valley? Well...I was Trying To think Of An American town that's intial began with "M" to match "Mars"!!!:) P,S.Fingers Crossed For Obama......I think the whole rest of the world does not want that dickhead Romney winning.

Brian Miller said...

um yeah i am going to plead chaos as well...got my fingers crossed as well here but i dont know....

will chase your link and figure out what you are talking about...

savannah said...

wow! what a read, sugar! i have to honestly say,i never understood "benny hill" always seems (and still does) just a tad to creepy...sort of like mitt romney! xoxoxo

TICKLEBEAR said...

Alright, I think I've read about 20% of the article.. YOU know how I feel about pedophiles, and WHY...

enough said!!

The hell with it, HANG THEM ALL!!
With barbed wire, by the balls...
:(~

Karen S. said...

Tony what a great post, so sad (barbed wire may be too good) gotta think really deep on that. I completely agree with all the above comments - but when I cross my fingers it's bad luck so I won't because I really-really don't want Mitt either, (although I rather like your name for him!

Scarlet Blue said...

Thank you for this link, Tony. I am reading the article. With all this Savile business I'm feeling very uncomfortable about my childhood viewing now. I saw the Panorama episode last week with clips of Savile in his prime, it made me feel quite sick.

Sx

blackwatertown said...

I'm having trouble with my connection at the moment - but if that's the Andrew O'Hagan piece in the London Review of Books - it's a good one.
I know some of the people involved in the latest twist of affairs. Not bad people.
Though it's all not a very good situation. It was clear that the original statements issued would not stand much scutiny - especially with so many taking redundancy from the BBC. All very badly handled.

tony said...

Yes The LRB.Very Fine Piece.
It's all a mess &,yes,I imagine lots of fairly innocent people on the margins will be thrown to the mob as sacrifices .....while various Royals:Tory Prime Ministers & former Justice Ministers:Policemen:newspaper people & clerics will go scot-free (ever it was the way).I notice Graling today ruled out an Independent Judge-Led Inquiry.What A Surprise!

Kurt said...

We have battened down our hatches and we await nature's fury.

Akelamalu said...

I have to say I'm with TICKLEBEAR on the subject of paedophiles!

Jill Hodgson said...

Read the whole Andrew Ohagan article. Bother, everything spoilt. I suppose that's what we get as a nation for neutralising perversion by calling it funny (didn't choir boys used to regularly get a bum rap? Ew. I seem to remember that being pretty mainstream humor) As for Savile, we interpreted creepy as lovable, but please.... not Larry the Lamb? Now then, how to extract daggers from heart?