Pages

Friday, October 12, 2012

mortal soliders clear the path

The International Camouflage Uniform Society (ICUS) is an association of collectors, researchers, curators, and historians with a mutual interest in the study of international military camouflage patterns and combat uniforms............. Read More
The  gentle author cant help thinking that if The Taliban saw this crew marching towards them ,it would put the fear of god in them........
Today's  theme is around groups & uniforms and suchlike.Does this count? Its an old family photo (my aunty Dot lived in upstate New York at the time).This is a Winter Carnival at Saranac Lake in  Upstate New York. here are more photos from the series
This is a Sepia Saturday post.


Above  is a photo i took in Benidorm in 2008 at Grant's stag weekend, 
  Above, 30 minutes of live Patti Smith recorded last night in Hollywood.Below a photo of Patti  outside The Hebden Bridge Trades Club .P.S. I heard exclusively tonight (from The Trades's vice-president Angela Salt who lived once above the road from me) ,that Patti  returns to Hebden Bridge next year!
here are my photos from her gig.

19 comments:

Kurt said...

What year were these photos taken?

tony said...

late 1890s i think Kurt.

Brian Miller said...

that first pic is way cool...love their outfits...and i guess at the time they were in style bu now seem costumish...

loved that pic of the woman the other day by the way...with her eyes moving...was freaking my boys out with it...ha

Peter said...

I had never heard of the ICUS but I like to guess that maybe they use a chameleon as their mascot? I couldn't access the video (here?).

Wendy said...

Every day I become aware of other worlds out there - a world of collectors of camouflage. I never realized before that every country has its own style of camo, and that camo can be specific to the branch of service and then the kind of work within that branch. I can't view camo as just fabric anymore. There's science and strategy to it.

Kat Mortensen said...

Well, the one with the Nurses Uniforms could count! ha ha

I love the photo with the bear.

Kat

Deb Gould said...

Great Winter Carnival Crew -- looks like either a scene from a Dickens novel!

Akelamalu said...

Great photos Tony, I particularly like the first one!

Akelamalu said...

Great photos Tony, I particularly like the first one!

tony said...

you Can Say That Again Akely!

Helen Bauch McHargue said...

Camoflage is an interesting take for this theme. Most of the uniforms shown in people's posts are anything but: the flamboyant colors, feather, brass, epaulets - everything they wore seemed intended to show them off instead of hide them. I guess if you're going off to be cannon fodder the consolation prize is in looking swell as you go.

Little Nell said...

That certainly is a motley crew in the first picture Tony. There's something...'Dickensian' about them!

Karen S. said...

I liked you moving photo post the other day too! This first photo is so very awesome, they look to be having a very cool time together as well. The last photo is very thought provoking...it could be a great theme photo to unravel some magical mystery tour of sorts!

Bob Scotney said...

My first thought was Dickens when I saw your photo but it was the huge dog in the Saranac series that I really fancied.

Liz Stratton said...

Fun, fun, fun. I love spy novels and biographies. The movie, Argo, is out this week. Based on Mendez' account of the 1979 rescue of Americans in Tehran. The CIA ops were disguised as a camera crew. I wonder if the ICUS have their costumes?

Kristin said...

If I saw the crew in that first photo coming down my street I would be a bit freaked out too.

TICKLEBEAR said...

Those Saranac Lake pics are fun. I'm hoping that bear was stuffed, not alive...

They look like a fun bunch to me, but who can tell what the Talibans would think, if they do, at all...
:/~
HUGZ

Teresa Evangeline said...

I do believe that motley crew would have the Taliban on the run. Lead by Patti, of course.

Diablo 3 Gold said...


it is deemed an remarkable, stunning, simple and honest video of the strategy. I am such a fan of your respective function! I'd personally have a chew regarding sweet off the sapling any day.