Pages

Friday, December 07, 2012

Somebody That I Used To Know..........

This Week I Read Oliver Sack's new book!
A photo taken in Halifax in the early 1900's ." workers walk to work at Dean Clough Mill.( where my Dad worked in the 1960s)Here we see other workers coming down the hill from Boothtown..... Today's Sepia Saturday is about the spotlight on the humble overalls (and, workwear of all types)......Sadly I have never seen a ghost in my whole life.The nearest I ever came was last week walking out of Halifax's Asda Supermarket.
Now Halifax is 60 miles from the coast but I swear,for several seconds I had my first ever olfactory hallucination.I was/am sure  I could smell the sea.I even looked into the (suddenly) salty sky in search of confirming seagulls......It was a strangely comforting moment for me.
 My Mum told me just before she died how homesick she was when she first came to landlocked Halifax after WW2. She missed the sea.She would walk her pram along Albert Promenade {aka "The Rocks"} (it was near the resettlement camp she found herself in).She would walk & pretend she was beside the seaside............. Ghosts -By-Proxy ?

Perfect Pop .They seemed to play this video constantly in the Rochdale Hamam in the months before it was knocked down in June this year.It still summons up a few ghosts.........

19 comments:

Boobook said...

Wow. Look at all that pollution. And those workers probably had to climb that steep hill to get to work again in the morning.

savannah said...

there is something to be said about olfactory ghosts, sugar. sense memories long forgotten? sometimes, we remember things we didn't even know we'd forgotten... xoxoxoxo

Kat Mortensen said...

I quite like this song though. First heard it on "American Idol" when two of the contestants did a version.

I'm with Savannah, "olfactory" ghosts abound in my experience.

Rockmother said...

Nicely written. My olfactory memory is quite disgusting - hoping my Mum would push the pushchair between cars in traffic as I loved the smell of exhaust and petrol. Terrible really x

barbara and nancy said...

Sad that your father had to work in the mines and also sad that your mother missed the sea so much. But nice that you got the visit from her.
Nancy

tony said...

Thanks Nancy.Actually they were Woollen & Carpet Mills..But it amounts to the same thing I Suppose.Labour Chewed & Spat Out for a Rich Man's Profit.

tony said...

You can "read" the video as Politics,if you wish.When he sings "you didnt have to treat me rough" British viewers may think of George Osborne?

Brian Miller said...

an olfactory hallucination eh? thats not a bad thing...very cool picture...the mines can be a brutal place...i def miss the ocean...

Kristin said...

I never heard the song before but did like it. olfactory ghosts I have met. My grandfather's basement workshop is one. They come up when you least expect. also experienced a "sitting ghost" trying to crush me one night months ago. horrible and frightening.

Martin said...

You excel at this, Tony. Short posts - great depth.

Alan Burnett said...

That is a fabulous old photograph, I have not seen it before. I know the spot well and recognise every mill chimney and stone wall. As for your smell of the sea in Halifax I wonder whether I was the cause of this. back in the late 1960s I worked for the Employment Exchange in Bradford. One week I was given the job of compiling the returns for the annual census of employment. Thus meant translating the information we had on occupation types into standard occupational numbers. I managed to get one category wrong and to this day you will see that there was a peak of 75 deep-sea fishermen working out of Bradford in 1968. Perhaps they are still trawling the canals of West Yorkshire. Perhaps you caught a whiff of them at ASDA.

Bob Scotney said...

That's a dramatic old industrial photo. I wonder what stands there now.

tony said...

A Lidl supermarket probably!!!

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Very interesting. I wonder what the explanation would turn out to be, if we could ever find out?

Great photo, and I also enjoyed learning about your Mom.

Kathy M.

Teresa Evangeline said...

And maybe your mum was present and she knew the smell from the sea would cause you to remember....

Peter said...

Living 3 miles from the sea, I know what your mum must have felt. Great short story!

Mike Brubaker said...

A neatly designed post from photo to music. The sense of smell is often underrated but can be very powerful. I now live in the mountains but have spent most of my life by the ocean. When I go back home I can measure the distance by smell.

Dominic Rivron said...

I used to climb a lot at "the rocks" when I lived in Halifax. Had my second most scary rock-climbing experience there, come to think of it.

I suspect you really did smell the sea. I've smelt it in various places in the North of England. Up here we're never that far from it as the crow flies or the wind blows.

TICKLEBEAR said...

This picture is somewhat timeless and it is a good capture. Never saw a ghost but pretty sure I felt one, a long time ago.

Love that song!!
Sounds a lot like Sting though in that one.
:)~
HUGZ