Pages

Thursday, January 31, 2013

every grain of sand.


The Gentle Author and Alan Burnett Toast Roy's World!

Thursday afternoon saw  A Meeting of The West Yorkshire Chapter of the International Brotherhood (Sisterhood) of Bloggers.
This Gala event was held at The Big 6 Inn in Halifax.A distinguished panel of Sepians and Independent Adjudicators unanimously judged that The  Sepian Photography in Blogging Award 2013  should be awarded to  Roy Hilbinger  and his perfect blog Roy's World
Roy blogs out of Shippenburg,Pennsylvania.
Now ,Roy is not a Sepian.His photos are  contemporary.But we Sepians know a good photo when we see one!
The quality is his Art deserves our respect and admiration.Congratulations Roy! Please visit his blog Roy's World are leave your own  personal sepian congratulation.
A nice meet Alan.I look forward to the next.
Sepia 162 looks to be around "bikes"!You know, the day I learned to ride a bike ranks along those special  milestones of childhood.To this day i can picture  it vividly .it was my older Bro Ziggy who taught me.The sense of achievement was tangible .I can still recall the smile on my face & the rush of clear air below my feet. as i sped down the street....My ego had just become mobile! sadly I have no photos of my herotics .But,you know, the mind is the best camera.Non?
This is a Sepia Saturday Post.
a sepia photo of Thomas.
Read All About How in 1885 Thomas Stevens Rode A Penny Farthing Around The Big Wide World {Here!}
"Thomas Wentworth Higginson, who heard Stevens speak at the Massachusetts Bicycle Club, said: "He seemed like Jules Verne, telling his own wonderful performances, or like a contemporary Sinbad the Sailor. We found that modern mechanical invention, instead of disenchanting the universe, had really afforded the means of exploring its marvels the more surely. Instead of going round the world with a rifle, for the purpose of killing something - or with a bundle of tracts, in order to convert somebody - this bold youth simply went round the globe to see the people who were on it; and since he always had something to show them as interesting as anything that they could show him, he made his way among all nations..."
Plus ,below, is a photo of my Brother~in~Law Martin also setting off towards the Big Wide World..............

Juan comes up to the Mexican border on his bicycle. He's got two large bags over his shoulders. The guard stops him and says, “What's in the bags?” “Sand,” answers Juan. The guard says, “We'll just see about that! Get off the bike.” The guard takes the bags and rips them apart; he empties them out and finds nothing in them but sand. He detains Juan overnight and has the sand analyzed, only to discover that there is nothing but pure sand in the bags. The guard releases Juan, puts the sand into new bags, hefts them onto the man's shoulders, and lets him cross the border. A week later, the same thing happens. The guard asks, “What have you got?” “Sand,” says Juan. The guard does his thorough examination and discovers that the bags contain nothing but sand. He gives the sand back to Juan, who crosses the border on his bicycle. This sequence of events if repeated every week for three years. Finally, Juan doesn't show up one day and the guard meets him in a cantina in Mexico. “Hey, Buddy,” says the guard, “I know you are smuggling something. It's driving me crazy. It's all I think about. I can't sleep. Just between you and me, what are you smuggling?” Juan sips his Corona and says, “Bicycles.”  
Sometime in the dim & distant future I must share with you some 8mm film I took in 1965 in Amsterdam (My Mam,Dad & Bro Ziggy were driving enroute to Poland)It was around the time of Provo Movement & Their famous White Bicycles.Unfortunately I dont have any images of the bikes themselves, but I do have some of Graffiti & such like.
Incidently,it was on a 1965  Dutch Cafe jukebox that I first heard the voice of Bob Dylan (Positively 4th Street ,I Believe..............)
Speaking Of His Bobness. here are a few photos of the (then) 69 year old biking in Slovakia.
THE BIG 6 INN,HALIFAX.

34 comments:

FrankandMary said...

Big wheel keeps on turning.

That first photo. Beer & happiness...

Brian Miller said...

ha great to see you hanging with alan...he is def a cool guy...

Boobook said...

Love the photo of the kids with the tricycle. Funny how adults never squat to take photos of kids!

Big Mark 243 said...

cool pictures... too bad there is not one of you memorializing your big day...

... the "sand" joke was funny..!

Is that Guinness in those glasses..?

tony said...

No Mark,not Guinness.A "real ale".A light Bitter.hand-pulled ,I can not remember it's name!"Blonde...." something or other !They have so many& they change every week....I get confused!No doubt Sepia Alan will remind me what it was called!

Megan Cahalan said...

Hooray! Congratulations to Roy and hello to the two of you together - how great!

Megan Cahalan said...

Three cheers! Congratulations to Roy and hello to the two of you - how great!

Martin said...

Cheers, all!

Mike Burnett said...

The scene looks tradition and inviting. You look happier in this picture where you're holding a pint compared to the Facebook posting.

Great choice, I had faith in the pair of you to make a wise decision.

Roy said...

Oh my, an award! Coming from you guys, it's truly an honor. Thank you!

TICKLEBEAR said...

Bravo for Juan!!!
Greetings to fellow Sepians!!
:D~
HUGZ

Wendy said...

You do know, of course, that it's difficult to quickly leave a comment and move on with all the great music clips you seem to find. I don't want to get a ticket for loitering! Seriously, the biking the globe story was inspiring and the sand story hilarious. And that little girl steadying the bike for Martin - I just want to swoop her up and squeeze her. She's a cutie!

Postcardy said...

I liked seeing your photo with Alan.

Jill Hodgson said...

I believe all that except the idea they drink Corona in Mexico. Isn't that like suggesting an Australian would down a Fosters?!

Helen Bauch McHargue said...

Your description of your first bike ride is so very similar to how my husband describes his. I remember learning and "getting it" but it didn't have as much emotional impact on me. Now I think I must have missed something. Your post is so full of interesting items..love the sand story. I, like everyone else, would love to join you two at the pub.

Peter said...

Well, cheers to you and Alan! And to Roy of course. Magnificent Corona joke! Am looking forward to your Amsterdam footage.

Brett Payne said...

I just can't imagine riding a penny farthing around the town, let alone the world, particularly in the days before pneumatic tyres. I've seen a lot of photos from that era (1880s-ish) of proud cyclists, so it must have been a very popular sport. I note that your bro-in-law's trike has similarly uncushioned tyres.

Kurt said...

The first time I heard Leonard Cohen was on a long distance bus in Spain. It had a TV in the front playing videos, and the video for "Take This Waltz" played. I vowed to find out who he was. This was before google, so I had to use talking-to-people to figure it out.

tony said...

Oh Kurt! Talking TO People Is Sooo twentieth century !

Bob Scotney said...

Glad you picked Roy who I have added to my 'following' list.
Fine picture of Alan and yourself whatever the beer involved.
In Scunthorpe it was a sand in a wheelbarrow joke that was 'recycled.'

tony said...

In Halifax We Have Loads of Poles.In Scunthorpe it's Mexicans?

B. Rogers, Living in Black Mountain said...

Most enjoyable post, loved the sand bags story. I looked at the winner of the Sepian Photo award blog, and wondered why it went to a non-Sepian, though that is some good photography. Wondering if other Sepians have chapters which gather for raising a glass and chosing an award winner of something or another...but I don't accept awards, so I'd be more interested in drinking to a winner. Here's to Ron! I'd be a member of the Southern Apalachian chapter probably, is anyone else in this neck of the woods?

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Hi Tony! This was fun. Love the picture of you and Alan, and all of your stories. My Dad taught me to ride my bike when I was 5 and we were living in Sweet Home, Oregon. As you said, the mind is the best camera.

Your BIL is so cute, and so was the bike smuggling story, lol.

Kathy M.

Jackie/Jake said...

Thanks for dropping by and visiting!!
I wish we had a group of bloggers that got together.

I love your post for this week's theme.

viridian said...

Like your first photo. Maybe some US sepia s could get together? Bicycles!

Gill Edwards said...

wonderful photo of the boy with the penny farthing. Thanks for being my second follower Tony

Gill

Eugenia O'Neal said...

Lovely pix! Have got to remember that sand joke! Too funny!

Joan said...

Rather breathless, here. That was like a race around the track/town/world --- but fun.

Karen S. said...

Ha ha! I like FrankandMary's big wheel comment, very fitting with the first photo! You both do know how to have an awesome time! Of course you know the little ones have my vote too, for favorite photo!

Alan Burnett said...

I seem to recall it was Oldershaws Brewery's Regal Blond that we were drinking, but the beer had the required effect and made my memory a little hazy. But I do remember what an excellent time I had, great ale, great company, great chat.

tony said...

a Good Meet Alan! Blondes Have All The Fun!

anyjazz said...

A fun post! I enjoyed following your stream of thoughts.

barbara and nancy said...

I wish I could have been a fly on the wall at your pub meeting. Did you dish about all us Sepians?
I can see why you didn't choose a Sepian for the award - that was very diplomatic of you.
Nancy

Little Nell said...

Sorry I missed that meeting Tony. The picture of Martin about to wobble away is priceless.