Pages

Friday, January 25, 2013

meet on the ledge

This is a Sepia Saturday Post.
An anthropologist is travelling the world photographing  tribal dances when he hears of a mystic Australian Aboriginal ceremony called the Butcher Dance. The dance has never been seen by outsiders so the anthropologist travels to the Australian outback to try and capture  it.in Sepia.  It turns out the Butcher Dance is only performed in one remote settlement, so the anthropologist puts together an expedition and the group drives out into the bush. Bad luck strikes the expedition and their petrol tank gets punctured forcing them to take to their feet. They walk for days and days and the expedition members gradually drop through exhaustion, sun-stroke and thirst. Finally only the anthropologist is left struggling along with his camera. Finally he too has enough and collapses in the dust. That evening he wakes to find he’s been rescued. He’s in a tribal encampment and is delighted when he discovers that his saviours are the very tribe that perform the fabled Butcher Dance. It turns out the Butcher Dance is usually performed only once every ten years but since the anthropologist has suffered so much the tribal elders agree to put on a performance especially for him.
The anthropologist sets up his camera and the tribal dancers get into a circle. The tribal chief claps his hands, the anthropologist starts to take photos, and the Aborigines start their mystic dance, ‘You butcher left arm in. Your butcher left arm out. In. Out…’
{click on image:}
Me and  S.S. Commandant Alan Burnett  meat at The Big 6 Inn in Halifax next Thursday afternoon at 4 pm.Why not join us?
"Great 'proper’ pub. Tucked away in the middle of a row of terraced houses and allegedly named because there used to be a cricket pitch nearby and if you hit a Big 6 it would reach the Pub . Loads of little rooms and the beer is always great. Very friendly bar staff and the landlord is a star."{ directions for travel to The Big 6:}

One of the models made by peter Blake { but not used} for the Sgt. Pepper album cover.
Yesterday the Gentle Author went with Don to The Lowry in Salford. we saw The Peter Blake Exhibition.Nice one Don.Thanx for a great day.Here's a  photo i sneaked.

You Know,If you had the time , you could have an entire albums worth of "Songs For Swinging Butchers".Here's another contribution! "A Heart Needs A Home"!


31 comments:

Dominic Rivron said...

Great! I've been in need of new shaggy dog story for a while.

Teresa Evangeline said...

You do know how to live a life. Look at this post. Good times. You and Alan have a pint for me. What I'd give to cross the pond and join you.:)

Brian Miller said...

tony tony tony...i am groaning here....hahhaa.the hokey pokey is what is really is all about....lol....cool pic of the butchers....

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Hey, Tony ... is this linked up to S.S. yet? I didn't see it. This cracked me up ... the original Hokie Pokie! What a picture also; so much detail in it.

I would LOVE to meet with you and Alan at the pub, if only I could.

Have a great time,

Kathy M.

Kristin said...

Nothing like piles and racks of dead hogs to make me wonder why I eat meat. Is that one young man holding a prize cup there2nd from the left or is he holding a goblet of wine?

tony said...

Kristin, I reckon the Lad with the cup is showing off a Butchering Prize of some kind?Ironically, just up the road is a little district called Friendly (they still have a Friendly Brass Band & a Friendly Fish & Chip Shop!!!) Not so 'Friendly' towards Pigs tho.......{*scratches head*)

Wendy said...

Oh Tony! And here I was expecting the big surprise was that the Butcher Dance was a cannibalistic ritual. I'd love to be a fly on the wall at the pub meet.

Mike Burnett said...

I trust the minutes of Thursday's meeting will be published - or will we have to watch the box to get an idea of the discussion.

Have a good time

tony said...

Oh Mike, Maybe A Video here next week here? "A State Of The Nation Address"?

The Pink Geranium or Jan's Place said...

Yikes, you caught me off guard with the hog picture..well and the Beatles too!

Jan

barbara and nancy said...

As a vegetarian and also an anthropologist, I was very interested in this post. But I never expected it to end with the Hokie Pokie. Too funny.
I sure would like to attend the meeting at the pub. But not if they're serving pork!
Nancy

tony said...

Sorry! You Know....your the 2nd Stateside visitor to use the term "hog".In England we say Pig.Are these one & the same beasts? Just to upset everybody more here is another Beatles pic.this time with a link of sausages! Come to think, sausages are sepia colour!

Kristin said...

They are one and the same. Hogs are the large version of the pig.

Peter said...

Nice story Tony, and a fun pun!
I admire the remarkable display of pigs, especially those four on the street. Obviously the Food & Health Authority never made it to Luddenden. My apologies for being unable to attend next Thursday.

Brett Payne said...

Now that's a macabre album cover.

What always strikes me about those old butcher's shops, where they hung all the meat outside, was the number of flies there must have been around, or don't you get flies in England?

tony said...

The flies Probably died of Food Poisioning.......

Kurt said...

Great photo.

Little Nell said...

I laughed until my (spare) ribs ached! Did you catch the live version of Meet On The Ledge on Mark Radcliffe's Radio show on Wednesday? I'm sorry I can't join you and Alan, but I'll be with you in spirits.

tony said...

No ,I Missed that Nell.I wanted Sandy Denny singing but couldnt find a sound file with her sweet voice on it :(

Vicki Lane said...

Oy veh... butcher dance, indeed!

FrankandMary said...

Somewhere, I picture two animals standing by human carcasses like that...oh, wait, that would be a farside cartoon, oh, well, so much for originality.

imagespast said...

Ha ha ha - I didn't even see that one coming! I'm finding the carcass photo a bit grim though :-) Jo

Postcardy said...

That's one of the strangest stories I've read. It looks like the animals were the ones that dropped from exhaustion etc.

B. Rogers, Living in Black Mountain said...

My favorite dance done by that tribe...oh wait, my favorite dance is the chicken dance! Enjoy your meet with Alan...details to follow, yes?

Mike Brubaker said...

An inspired joke, Tony. The photo has that sense of pride, so maybe it is a prize trophy for best butchers in Luddendendenden. Wish I could find the fare to join the conference at the Big Six.

whowerethey said...

Ah thanks for the Fairport Convention...I don't listen to them enough and wind up listening to Richard Thompson instead.

You may also like a little song by Pinkard & Bowden...."She Dances With Meat." ;-)

Alan Burnett said...

Well at least we have got that one out of the way and the first twenty minutes of the meeting wont be taken up with telling me the tale. Don't forget the minute book. Do you think they sell pork scratchings at the Big Six? See you Thursday, mate.

tony said...

Alan,I'm Not Sure About The Big 6's Pork Scratchings (they play havoc with my fillings) I will pick some up for you in Luddenden Foot enroute!

Helen Bauch McHargue said...

I fell hook line and sinker. I hope there's a trip report about your meeting at the pub. From the looks of the comments, we all wish we could be there. As usual a very funny and unique post. I enjoyed it.

Karen S. said...

Oh my Tony! You always delight us with the best stuff ever! Awesome post- I believe that first photo will "hang" with me all day! :)

TICKLEBEAR said...

Somehow, I had the feeling the butcher dance would be the sudden demise of the anthropologist...
:D~
HUGZ