Pages

Saturday, January 12, 2013

the big 6 inn Halifax.

Thanks to a query  from Postcardy (see comment panel ) regarding the video,I went and found* This* site from the band whose music plays on the vid (the very wonderful British Sea Power).Via this link you can make your own video-postcard using sepia-like footage+the band's music.Enjoy Yourselves!
Sepia Saturday is simply the best weekly old photo sharing site on the interweb.Except no substitute!
This week's Theme is Ladies in Bathing-Tackle.I believe this video fits the bill?
This week here ,you can watch this splendid video and/or follow some of my adventures on facebook here
I went to Burnley Sauna yesterday with Ken Kersley from Mixenden ..Later we supped at the BIG SIX INN in Halifax.
"Brilliant little pub down a terraced street made by knocking together 2 houses. It always has a good selection of superbly kept ales and whiskies that can be enjoyed in one of the 3 or 4 rooms in the pub or the beer garden (out the back door and across the street).
Looking like it hasn't been decorated since 1945, the pub itself has all the characteristics and charm that a decent pub should have, and long may it stay that way!
One of the two best pubs in Halifax. 5 mins in a taxi from the train or bus station - if you find yourself in town it's worth popping in for a couple..............."





the gentle author salutes you!
Capo Martin.Let me know which Wednesday you can come a Supping in Hebden Bridge.I go with Phil the X-Fireman  there THIS Wednesday.But I guess too short a notice for you? if not,never mind, we  see you the first Wednesday  you can.

20 comments:

Kurt said...

When I was in Norway, I use the sauna on the Hurtigruten ship a couple of times. One wall was glass, so you could see the view whilst sauna-ing.

Brian Miller said...

seriously...how can you go wrong...a great pub and women in bathing suits...ha

Karen S. said...

Gee, you always come up with the best stuff! That video rocks- it's great- and love the music-I have a dancer friend that I have to share this with! Great times in those pubs- I know from my visit to England- we tried out as many as we could! I agree with your praise about our Sepia Saturday fun. Best thing ever!

Rosie said...

Great post Tony, I love to see people enjoying themselves, makes my happy for them, happy for me. What a great video, was a little scared for the young girl up on the metal rafters! Can't meet you at the inviting pub, but will raise a glass to you at O'Donaghue's Irish Pub in Miramichi, NB Canada!!

Bob Scotney said...

Great post Tony; super video but the girl walking the girder would give today's Health & Safety brigade a heart attack.

LadyCat said...

The 3 bathing beauties look like they are having so much fun. And the video is so happy. The girls dancing gives such a feeling of freedom and joy. The whole video shows such comradery.
The Big 6 Inn sounds like a great place to spend an evening. Cheers!

Teresa Evangeline said...

How is it that the bizarrely beautiful always finds it way to you? :)

Little Nell said...

The film was fascinating. Isn't it interesting how the addition of colour makes it seem so much more modern?

Helen Bauch McHargue said...

It's such a pleasure to visit your page. The video was sheer joy to watch...all those fantastic bathing costumes. I could spend days wandering through all your links and the blogs you follow. Like a different world.

Akelamalu said...

If I find myself in Halifax I'll be sure to pop in there. :)

Alan Burnett said...

Smashing old photo Tony. I need to make a confession : it is not that I enjoy looking at pictures of women in bathing suits but that I have never actually been to the Big 6 although I know well of its fame. So, if I may, I would like to suggest it as a venue for the forthcoming meeting of the West Yorkshire Chapter of the International Brotherhood (Sisterhood) of Bloggers. As you are the Secretary, perhaps you could let all members have some dates for the meeting.

tony said...

Alan.The WYCIB(S)B could meet soon!I take it weekdays/during the day is best for you? I'm best most WEDS/THURSDAYs every week!I,m spoken for these weekdays this week (Phil x-Fireman is supping in Hebden Bridge) & the following week (in Salford at The Lowry seeing an exhibition of Peter Blake's with my mate Don.But the week after that Thursday 31st is possible for you???? If not , I'm open to alternative dates.Afternoon?????Who else would like to come????

Dominic Rivron said...

totally off topic again... Yes, definitely. Thanks for asking. Just depends when. I've sent you a message via facebook. (I'm telling you this because, looking at the options in my facebook settings, I'm not wholly convinced I get all facebook messages I get sent).

Postcardy said...

Some interesting footage in the video. I wonder what the rest of the film was like.

tony said...

Postcardy!here AND! EVEN BETTER!!!! You can "You can make and share your own postcard from the seaside using some of the 300 clips from the BFI archive, and music by British Sea Power..." Perfect:)

Peter said...

Those girls walking the beams in the video's are giving me the shivers! Never!!

John Gray said...

Fell on you by accident and have enjoyed my mooch here
Best regards

Mike Brubaker said...

Oh I'd like to attend the WYCIB(S)B please. Is there a bus?

And thanks, Tony, for the great BFI site which is added to my long list of timesucking internet sirens.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Ha I agree with Brian. How can you really go wrong?

TICKLEBEAR said...

Fun vid but nowadays, people might be cynical and think these folks were off their medications for acting this way...

Ah, the good old days!!
:)~
HUGZ