Pages

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

“Bad artists copy. Good artists steal.” ― Pablo Picasso

It may look as if I'm cheating:but if you look real close,you will see that the hand is sepia......
This is a Sepia Saturday post........Winston Churchill faced an awkward moment in 1954, when Parliament unveiled a portrait on the occasion of his 80th birthday. The ceremony took place before a crowded Westminster Hall, and no one present, one observer said, “will forget the idiosyncratic nonsound with which a thousand people stopped breathing when the canvas was revealed.” The painting, by Graham Sutherland, was a decidedly modern take on the octogenarian statesman. “Its chief defect was that it looked unfinished in as much as his feet were concealed in a carpet that seemed to have sprouted a dun-coloured grass,” wrote Studio editor G.S. Whittet. “The artist had obviously been unhappy about them and they had been painted over since it would have been impossible to ‘cut off’ his legs below the knees without radically altering the proportions and placing of the picture on the canvas.” One MP called the portrait “a study in lumbago,” and Lord Hailsham said it was “disgusting, ill-mannered, terrible.” Churchill accepted the gift with a measured good humor, but privately he muttered, “It makes me look half-witted, which I ain’t.” After the unveiling, the painting was never seen again — shortly before Churchill’s death, his wife had it cut up and burned.


a photo of me & a few friends Paint Balling for my birthday in 2004.




I used to know a bloke called Allan Renshaw (aka as "Raspy") who went to the Rochdale Hamam.He currently has an exhibition at a gallery in Newcastle. here is an interview with him. Capo Martin (the keeper of the Lemon Tea!) from Rochdale Hamam visited Hebden Bridge on Wednesday night........Some photos!

{website of Allan Renshaw,Artist}
My Birthday 2004:West Vale.

25 comments:

Kristin said...

What a fate for one's painting. He got paid big bucks for it though, I'm sure.

Brian Miller said...

nice...paint balling sounds like a great birthday...ha...

and the churchill story is interesting...i might share that with my students as we just finished WW2

smiles...nice sepia pic as well...ha...

Teresa Evangeline said...

And, the wonderment continues... Nobody, and I mean nobody, has an outlook on life quite so wonderful as you do.

Martin said...

Honest art is often a risky business.

Scarlet Blue said...

Shame that the Sutherland wasn't stolen before destruction.
Sx

Brett Payne said...

From what we can see of it, the portrait painted Churchill in a pretty awful light - I thought it was most gracious of him to take it what was apparently rather good humour.

Tom said...

ha! hilarious.

barbara and nancy said...

That Churchill. What a card. I'm surprised that he took the painting. I would have thought he'd have ripped it up right in front of the artist. I guess he had more class than that.
Nancy

Postcardy said...

That painting might be worth millions today. It also would have a lot of historical interest. It shouldn't have been destroyed.

Alan Burnett said...

I have always been of the opinion that creativity can be nothing more than stealing what already exists and adding to it. Mind you, I begin to get problems when I start applying my theory to the Big Bang. I suspect that the current universe would have never existed if the bugger he had the previous pre-Big Bang one had copyrighted it properly.

Bob Scotney said...

A portrait to remember nevertheless. Pity he didn't like it.

Wendy said...

I wonder which is worse: to be the subject disappointed in the piece or the artist disappointed in his own work.

Little Nell said...

Poor Graham Sutherland. What a pity Churchill was so withering about it and in the clip I didn't detect the gasp that was supposed to emanate from the audience, only applause. Lady Churchill has a lot to answer for.

Joy said...

Churchill looks quite mischievous in his acceptance, can never understand things like this being destroyed, I suppose Sutherland was trying to portray him without power, never something politicians like to contemplate. There was a similar uproar when Freud painted the Queen, wonder what she has done with that one.

Mike Brubaker said...

A portrait is not the same as looking in the mirror, and I doubt Churchill did much of that. His portrait photographs are much more revealing. And I like some of the abstract rendering of your portraits, Tony. Like they were shot up by paint-balls!

Titania said...

The painting of Churchill was not bad,it was different for sure, I mean he was not that good looking!

Hazel Ceej said...

Picasso bad ;)I like his words. That guy and the Sepia hand intrigue me. Glad you included a clip on Churchill. It's been ages since I saw him moving in such medium.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Totally awesome post, Tony. Loved the paintball pics too.

Kathy M.

Karen S. said...

Tony I picked up on that Sepia hand even before I read about it! Ha! Ha! You all look way to unpainted in your paint balling photo, if it's anything like we do here, it can be messy! I really like the slide presentation you guys really know how to have fun. But I didn't see your new trench coat and Fedora Hat??? :)

tony said...

Karen! I Gave Them To A Needy Snowman!

savannah said...

*smiling*
thanks for the heads up/background/info re churchill! i'm slowly catching up with everyone, sugar! drop by when you have a chance to see the pics i've posted! *doting grandma here* xoxoox

Jill M Hodgson said...

Whatever IS that hand?!
I feel sorry for Graham Sutherland in this story. It's a thankless task painting an official portrait. If I'm ever asked to I vow to say no rather than risk sullying my already dubious legacy with an angry spouse destroying it on eve of the subject's demise.

TICKLEBEAR said...

Lady Churchill should have thrown a party to celebrate its burning. That would have been sweet revenge. But Churchill was admirable for his humor and réparti!!!
:)~
HUGZ

Teresa Wilson Rogers said...

I don't think I've ever known someone who actually went paint-balling before, I would have like to seen the "after" photo!

tony said...

Yes Teresa ,it can be quite brutal.{HERE} is a photo of one of the post-paintball bruises!