Pages

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

sepia-tinted glasses.

Have you heard of Suspended Coffees?...............
.........also,why not buy a Jack Kerouac coffee mug {here} 
Blizzards /snowdrifts/roads blocked this week for me! Oh to be in England now that Spring is here.......[It's lasted a week now].Your gentle author is turning into ............Jack Nicholson in The Shining......
{READ HERE:? "I Know What The Shining Is Really About"} 
The weekend saw Me&Cathy  having to walk to the shops cos the roads were all blocked.Walking into Hebden Bridge on Saturday afternoon we were chatting to a new neighbour who had just moved in 3 doors-down.She's from California & new to England..We talked about the weather.I told her I hadnt seen such snow since being  in New England with my son Chris.
.That night I had vivid dreams about where we stayed in The States ,on Campus at Mount Holyoke College  I think that's where my mind has been while creating this post.By the way (as my mind seems to have strayed to Hollywood),Mount Holyoke is where they filmed the movie "Dirty Dancing"...from such trivia, legends are born.............
This week's Sepia Saturday theme is around meeting in coffee/milk bars...which i find difficult.I was surprised how few (ie none) local photos I could find of Coffee Bars in Halifax.I mean,Coffee Bars were quite trendy from the 50s  onwards but although there are millions of 'sepia pubs', i could find zilch in the caffeine department.Strange & Disappointing......Sooooo, I compromise.The first photo is fairly recent (2005).It was taken with my camera ,as we sat drinking coffee,by my friend Ayse in a Starbucks in Northampton , Massachusetts.
We were trying to work out what they were talking about..............
Ayse imagined they were in Love.I (being a good Yorkshireman) thought they were debating who should pay the bill........
{"COFFEE BAR" A poem from the audio collection 'The Poetry Of Natale Delle Palme'. The collection was read by Nat and his wife Geri on a beautiful summer day in their backyard. Recorded by Sal on minidisc - 2007}
My  third photo this week  is of a Rock Concert I attended at Krumlin,near Halifax West Yorkshire in 1970.
Note the outdoor-hippy-milkbar! 
Read more about this,my first festival, in this here post
Krumlin,1970.
Ayse & the gentle author in a department store in Northampton,MA.


All Praise  Michael and his mighty Coffee Messiah blog.
Meanwhile,the good Doctor Feelgood Prescribes...........
Madhuri Akin http://madhurijewel.com/blog/groups/

31 comments:

FrankandMary said...

I thought they were talking about improper familiarities ;o.

I love you & Ayse in the sunglasses.~Mary

Scarlet Blue said...

I would like to think the couple are in love... but he has a defensive arm around his body, so I'm not so sure... I think she's saying something scary like: I'm pregnant.
Sx

Jill M Hodgson said...

I think it's a difficult conversation they're having.

Love the festival picture! I lived "down south", went to Isle Of Wight in'70. I even remember it slightly.

The reflections in those glasses are wonderful!

Brian Miller said...

i am all about coffee bars...probably because i am all about coffee...actually i am pretty sure a large portion of the water that makes up my body is coffee...

as to the couple, they are obviously intimate by the way they are sitting, she more committed than he, or he just trying to be cool about even though he is head over heals in love with her and just afraid of those feelings and wondering if it makes him a weak man that he cant put his underwear on in the morning without thinking of her and she willing to just lay it all out there, which perplexes yet scares him as well...they will go to bed together within two weeks, but not have sex, it will be a great night, he will lay awake most of it staring at the ceiling, her cuddled into the crook of his arm...he will smell her hair and realize what a putz he has been and then they will live happily ever after or at least until...

tony said...

Brian, I suspect the Lady holds the power in this photo: his posture is trying to compensate for the lady's control of the situation.....
Eventually,her Mother will buy them a state-of-the -Art Coffee Machine as a future wedding present......

savannah said...

i like brian's story! great photos, sugar. xoxoxo

Martin said...

I think she's saying, "Now I've seen you with your hair cut short, I'll be leaving mine long."

Alan Burnett said...

Do you remember the coffee bar in King Cross - am I right in thinking it was called something like Steph's and the owner was a Greek who was probably called Stephanolpolis or some such thing. He used to have one of those old Coca Cola dispensing machines that you put your shilling or whatever in and a real glass bottle would come rattling out of the machine.

Little Nell said...

I love Brian's scenario, but I think they're siblings. She 's smiling through gritted teeth whilst telling him to get his life sorted out. Thanks for the link to the Twin Peaks coffee clips. I never saw the series, but I think I ought to seek it out.

Kurt said...

That's my fave Dylan song.

B. Rogers, Living in Black Mountain said...

I'm taken with the plastic bags everyone (almost) is wearing at the rock concert...and then the lack of camera reflected in the sunglasses. Well done!

barbara and nancy said...

He's saying to her, "I've thought it over and I've decided that we just should be friends." and she's thinking in return, "yeah, right. That's what they all say."

Great pic of you and Ayse. And the rock concert. It looks so rainy and cold.
Nancy

Postcardy said...

I used to live near Dinkytown, but Bob Dylan was there before my time. I have never been able to understand the words that Dylan sings.

Brett Payne said...

Definitely she's keen, he's having second thoughts ... and wondering how he can retrieve his leg without making it too obvious.

Ann ODyne said...

I followed your 'neighbour' link to find a wheelie-case in the snow. those poor little wheels.

Do festivals have bin bag kiosks, or do punters just know to bring their own?

The department store sunglasses counter image is just lovely.

The cafe couple photo is terrific composition and light. They are not sibling noses. She is positive and encouraging, he is contemplative but unsure.
Maybe she has just said
"Let's get a cat".

Bob Scotney said...

She's saying, "Don't turn round! Someone's taking our photo."

Try as I might I can't quite read the words on the reflection in that superb sunglasses shot

tony said...

Alan: I don't remember Stephs Although,when I went to Primary School (St Mary's on Gibbet Street) A Polish lad in my class had parents who owned a coffee bar on King Cross.He was a popular fellow! When it was his Birthday his dad would hold his Birthday Parties in the Coffee Bar.Free pop&sweets for party guests!!!!
There was a Greek Cypriot family who owned the Corner Coffee Lounge in Town (it later was The Pride of Whitby )They were Tony & Jackie Iannou.Cathy worked there a spell in the 1970s.Cath's sister Su got engaged to one of their sons (Mick).
The Iannou's later owned The Blue Dahlia,also in Halifax.

Karen S. said...

Tony! I feel your pain! So much so that I'm nearly numb from it all- Minnesota has been so Minnesota-like this year! Your thoughts on this post are awesome, and our minds were thinking pretty much the same thoughts, and it's so cool that we brought so many various photos to cover those times! I love it! Your photos are excellent or is it eggscellent! Happy Easter to you!

Karen S. said...

Oops! I nearly forgot, my brain must be shaded! LOL but gentle author love the sepia toned Hollywood sun-glasses photo too!

Kathy Morales said...

She's pressing a bit for a more intimate, self-revelatory conversation which he finds a bit frightening and wonders how he can appease yet also avoid.

Wendy said...

I've never been so adventurous or devoted to a performer to be willing to sleep on the ground. The plastic bag is good for warmth, I know, but eck. I'd need more than a milk bar to make me a happy camper.

Chef Files said...

Ahh now Tony, what great craic it is sipping a frothy coffee and people watching as the whole rotten world slithers right by us.

anyjazz said...

Thoroughly entertaining post!

Tattered and Lost said...

A post that was quite soothing. Made me smile. And when I saw the shot of the concert I thought of the friend who was dragged to Woodstock. She arrived, saw all the people and all the mud and said, "No way! Take me back to the city." And so that is one of her claims to fame. She left Woodstock.

Mike Brubaker said...

Music, Mud and Milk. Such a great combination!

TICKLEBEAR said...

Did ayse get those sunglasses?
They really suited her well.
Good song to end this post.
Gives a swing to my morning!!
:D~
HUGZ

tony said...

Bruno.The Glasses photo was actually taken by Ayse herself.We were just trying them on:no we didnt buy them!

Karen S. said...

Saying hi one more time because I recall how cool your post was for this. Can you believe it, I'm just now getting around to all the other posts that I didn't see from last weekend! Yikessssssssss!

Boobook said...

I'm just catching up on last week's blogs because I was away from the internet over the Easter weekend (and it didn't do me any harm!).
Great selection of photos. Love the body language in the first one.

Teresa Evangeline/Bayou Summer said...

Things are twitchy everywhere... too long a winter...

Dominic Rivron said...

Thinking of coffee bars - just been to one which has been elevated to "top 3" status in my experience of UK coffee bars (I take them seriously) - Croesor Caffi, in Croesor. (It's also an art gallery). Unfortunately it only opens at weekends and in the school holidays. Twitch twitch.