Pages

Thursday, April 18, 2013

in your eyes


When I First Read That Alan's Prompt For This Week'sSepia Saturday was "odd photos" I thought "Great! I can do 'odd'! But,on refection its proved  difficult .I have no definitive oddness to share.But let me,instead, whistle bravely  and skate  gently a around the  topic..............

Really, I could have copped-out completely and re-posted This Image from a previous Sepia post(.Taken in 1994 of my Uncle by me on The Family's farm in Eastern Poland .It is both odd & has a chicken in it!)
But no.Let me give you somethings that are new here .
 Now! The above photo IS odd! Taken in 1985 in Cyprus.Me & Cathy had taken my Mum there at Christmas on the first anniversary of my Dad's death.I wandered into a dusty old shop in Nicosia.It was totally full of wax baby doll candles. (whole& separate limbs).Most were 1&2 foot tall.I took this photo & quickly buggered-off out.Never did find out what that was all about.........

Finally.An example of oddness that didn't work out.We came across this burnt out car in Nicosa.I had never seen one before.The caption was supposed to read "These Crazy Foreigners" But ,in Post-Thatcher Britain it became a familiar sight .Expect to see many more burning British cars in the next 12 months.......
Hebden Bridge:A vicious  mob  of angry young anarchistic s protest  while Thatcher' (spit) was funerealised   on Wednesday  in London.
Hebden Bridge's web forum .Read Here ] what my local town thought of Thatcher.

20 comments:

Teresa Evangeline/Bayou Summer said...

Those candle baby doll parts are just the right touch of odd from the Master of Oddities... :) Thank you for helping me to see the world still has a lot of mystery and weird. You always find it ... or it finds you... :)

tony said...

X

Kristin said...

Strange how that happens - foreign only happenings of yesterday becomes here at home happenings tomorrow.

Wonder what those baby candles were for.

Brett Payne said...

That is a bizarre collection. The wax baby dolls remind me of the rows and rows of tiny votive Buddhas at Buddhist temples in Japan> I do like your Family Farm photo in eastern Poland.

Akelamalu said...

Those candle dolls are wierd! :0

tony said...

Apologies to Martin.....by mistake I just deleted accidently his brilliant comment "Who On Earth Would Tourch a Morris Minor!"I was distracted! Just Got up/half asleep/looking at my laptop & blogging & catching up on Live Coverage of Boston Shoot-Out.I have been to M.I.T. where the Policeman was shot!

Kurt said...

The old Mini Coopers used to catch on fire by themselves. Cloth wiring.

Kathy Morales said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Karen S. said...

Tony, thanks for such an awesomely bright and oddly fun post, it sure helps take the edge off all the horribleness going on in the world. Great- no tremendous photos all of them!

Karen S. said...

Tony, thanks for such an awesomely bright and oddly fun post, it sure helps take the edge off all the horribleness going on in the world. Great- no tremendous photos all of them!

Wendy said...

Candle babies???? That had to be a weird experience to light one and watch it melt. The lamp in the warehouse is another unusual thing.

FrankandMary said...

Tony, those waxed babies provoke the basest of feelings, & in her way, Thatcher did too. Haaaaaaa on the vicious mob :).~Mary

barbara and nancy said...

I really like the photo of your mum. It's very dramatic.
And the one of the warehouse - that's some strange things going on.
Nancy

Alan Burnett said...

You are a master of the odd Tony. And it is getting near time for another meeting in the Big Six. For the odd pint or two.

tony said...

yes Alan ,Lets Sup Again Soon.I was up The Big 6 the other week:It still has BEER!!!!!

tony said...

yes Alan ,Lets Sup Again Soon.I was up The Big 6 the other week:It still has BEER!!!!!

Joanne Casey said...

Margaret Thatcher Worm Hatcher...is it too soon? ;)

tony said...

Joanne,It wouldn't have been too soon 20 years ago!

TICKLEBEAR said...

Those baby dolls totally creep me out, but a wonderful subject for photography.

As for Thatcher, what the history books will say about her, and what History tells, is often two different things... Once all of those who actively remember her years as Prime Minister will be dead, the books will prevail.

Love your tweet in the previous post!!! YOU are odd!!!
:D~
HUGZ

Teresa Wilson Rogers said...

A fine collection of oddities. Those dolls creeped me out!