Pages

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

adronitis


Last week.... Frank and Mary commented ...."I felt bad at first, viewing the picture of the "fallen teddy bear," but then it was bemusing....." .And so it is also with me.Dear ßenchers, are you ßemused as well?
adronitis.
n. frustration with how long it takes to get to know someone—spending the first few weeks chatting in their psychological entryway, with each subsequent conversation like entering a different anteroom, each a little closer to the center of the house—wishing instead that you could start there and work your way out, exchanging your deepest secrets first, before easing into casualness, until you’ve built up enough mystery over the years to ask them where they’re from, and what they do for a living.


This is a Sepia Saturday post.

This week's prompt is around the theme ".....We're looking for any bodily adornments: from girls with pearl earrings to gents with an impressive medal collection (or vice versa), even tattoos would fit the bill I'm sure....." Which brings me to "Alfie" my wife's favourite teddy bear as an infant......they went everywhere together.Almost a "bodily adornment" Non?
It's marginally excentric I suppose ? Next week (probably Thursday & Friday) me & Chris travel to stay overnight in Carlisle (near the Scottish border).The plan is we walk 100 yards from Home to The Keighley Road.Jump on the "500" bus to Keighley.There we catch the "Settle -Carlisle" Train A pleasant & dramatic 2 hour journey[photos}.
It's a good excuse for me to get a over-60's discount Railcard (3rd off every journey!).That should arrive this Saturday..then I can book the tickets.
We spend Thursday looking at Castles & stuff.... [+ Perhaps? the odd Stone Circle? ]+ then stay in the IRBIS Hotel next to the Railway station& the next morning visit Carlisle Turkish Baths for 4 hours or so...then jump back on the train (just across the road from the Baths} & head home in the afternoon!
It's one of the last few remaining working Baths in the UK.One I have never been to before.A listed building I believe. So far , I have been to  10 Turkish Baths .In Edinburgh (still open);Rochdale (shut) :Blackpool (shut): Islington (open): Harrogate (open):East Ham (shut) ;Paddington (open)+ 3 in Istanbul.....Another one for my check list! Check here to read about the decline&fall of British Turkish Baths...........
{lyrics}

In July I go see British Sea Power (4th time) at The Hebden Bridge Trades Club.'Taking Chris with me.
A film (just released) about Football (soccer):Photography & British Sea Power [here]
Above a photo taken of Fallingroyd Bridge near Hebden Bridge in the 1930's (near The Clog Factory for those that know)Dig The Road Sign !

25 comments:

Roy said...

Interesting music; they sound very much like the post-Punk New Wave stuff that came up in the late '70s and into the '80s. I'm glad to hear that sound is still around!

Brian Miller said...

ha i had a teddy that went everywhere and if you had asked i am sure my parents would have said it was attached...

really enjoyed the music man...has it been used in a movie? at least the music? sounds familiar on some level...

tony said...

British Sea Power 's music is a bit ubiquitous (as is Nick Drake) on/in lots of TV ads in the UK.....not sure about The States? They have appeared on Prime Time USA in the past...maybe you heard them there?

FrankandMary said...

Over 60s? That surprised me. Eccentric? You? Well, yes, in a good way. My sunglasses have almost become an attachment. Defense mechanism. ~Mary

tony said...

Yea,I'm an Old Bugger! here are some photos from my 60th Birthday gig last July.....

Postcardy said...

The Teddy bear almost looks like it is alive!

Karen S. said...

Yes, I believe the Teddy Bear is alive and doing push-ups! Ha! Ha!

Tina´s PicStory said...

sweet :)

Little Nell said...

Wonderful pictures, but which one is the teddy bear; is it the little fellow, because I have to say the enormous two-tone model doesn't look like a teddy bear to me. Its left hand isn't very paw-like and looks suspiciously humanoid or ape-like; could it be a monkey? Go on ask Mrs Tony.

FrankandMary said...

I remembered a "special" birthday from last year, but not the 60. Well, let the senior discounts begin ;).

Jill M Hodgson said...

To think that all my angst can be reduced and explained away by the dictionary of obscure sorrows. I suppose I should thank you for this revelation. But where does that leave me now? I shall have to consult the dictionary of obscure sorrows. Maybe tomorrow.
Hope you both have a wonderful time on your very esoteric holiday!

tony said...

MARY=Being a coy & precocious 59 year old I probably used the term "special"....but being a mature 60+ year old I have shed my inhibitions & tell it as it is !
JILL= if we must have Sorrow ,having them Obscure at least keep 'em at arms length?
NELL=Mrs Z insists its a Teddy Bear! We breed'em big in Yorkshire.......KAREN= the press-ups help!

Wendy said...

Now I'm intrigued about that Dictionary of Obscure Sorrows. Who thinks of such things? Who finds such things? Besides you, of course.

tony said...

WENDY=The Devil Makes Work For Idle Hands.....?:)

Kurt said...

I wonder if he won his lawsuit. It sounds like something that would happen in the US.

Brett Payne said...

Regarding adronitis - actually, isn't that what happens with our "friends" on Sepia Saturday? We share our little secrets, and over the weeks ease into casualness in the comments on each other's blogs and on Sepia Saturday's Facebook page. Then we check each other's profiles, perhaps "friend" each other on Facebook, and discover "where they’re from, and what they do for a living."

Hazel said...

Really! That certainly is a new (to me) word. It's fun to learn something new. Thanks for including The Dictionary of Obscure Sorrows; will check that out. I enjoyed the video; oh, the very familiar roadside. I miss the UK.

Bob Scotney said...

My daughter's tedddy bear was kidnapped by boys at her school. All through the holidays see go postcards from all over the world saying he wanted to come home.
It looks as if your toddler has 'killed' off his bear,

Kristin said...

Looks like she is making a fast escape from that big furry animal that is just about to grab her ankle.

I had a bear named Beatrice who wore a little blue pinafore. I wonder when she disappeared.

anyjazz said...

Stuffed toys as jewelry? Yes! Why not?

whowerethey said...

The loss of the nose brings up quite an interesting thought or two. Of course prior to modern plastic and restorative surgery, parts that were lost, were simply...lost forever. Prosthetic parts were made so as not to force a person into a life as a hermit, but still nothing is the same as the real thing.

Tattered and Lost said...

A wonderful series of photos with Teddy. Alas my red and white Teddy ended up in a dumpster because the dog peed on it. Such a sad ending. He couldn't be washed and it took me a long time to get over him being tossed.

Your trip sounds wonderful.

TICKLEBEAR said...

Well, that post certainly was a mouthful, from teddy bears to trains and barges, from turkish baths to football, and even stone circles just for good measure!!

An enjoyable journey!!
:)~
HUGZ

Sharon said...

My son had a toy soft rabbit that went everywhere with him. My husband called it "skungy" as it was very well loved. The name stuck and "bunny" became "skunge"

Akelamalu said...

I loved my teddy, I don't know what happened to it though. :(