Friday, January 30, 2015

whoa, the blue light was my baby, and the red light was my mind.....

The Rolling Stones singing "Street Fighting Man" is total nonsense.A millionaire singing working class songs is a total lie.(hello,Russell Brand!)
 Saying that ,I loved this song  in the 1970s.I believed every word....Sometimes artifice is a very comforting distraction.innit?
We are critical of politicians & the lies they tell us.Are we any better with the lies we tell ourselves?

Athens:August 1987.
Cath took this photo of me in Athens in 1987.She was still recovering from her first miscarriage.
I asked her to take it.
I was reading plenty of Paul Bowles & Bruce Chatwin at the time.
I suppose ,in this photo , I wanted to give an impression of a 'Gentleman Abroad'.Living with 'real' people.[Not on some dodgy package holiday!]
 I remember I began reading Raymond Carver on my return.("Working Class Noir"!).
Chris was born safely the following year.I guess it worked....

8 comments:

Kurt said...

I know I've told you before, but you inspired me with the volume of live concerts you attend. I hadn't been going to see music, and I got off my butt a couple of years ago and started seeing more shows. Some highlights: Ralph Stanley,
The Who, Dr. John,
Ron Sexsmith, Robert Cray, Glenn Tilbrook, Mavis Staples, Leon Russell, Neil Young, Pepe Romero,
The Persuasions, Leo Kottke, Elvis Costello, Albert Lee, Stevie Wonder, David Bromberg, and Allen Toussaint.

tony said...

A Noble Crew! Let me think....Ive seen David Bromberg;Elvis C;Neil Young;& Ron Sexsmith ( much underated) ROCK ON!

Tom said...

not seen a show in many a year, the highlight being Yes back in the early 80's. But I've been to countless high school and college concerts and recitals - that must count for something. Multiple kids makes for a flat wallet and concerts can be serious dosh. Ah well...

tony said...

Rock is Where The Heart Is.And Tom ,who knows, The multiple kids could be the next Osmonds!

Ann ODyne said...

Let It Bleed is in my Top 5 Fave albums of all time with The Art Of Chris Farlowe (which has a Jagger backup vocal) and with John Lennon's Rock & Roll.
A Working-Class Hero is something to be, and that's why in my eyes Rusty E Brand can do no wrong. He's an Obsessive (most junkies are) and presently it's Yoga so that's nice and quiet.
Love the Athens street market image - I wonder if those buildings have changed as much as The Subject.

tony said...

'got older and crumblier,but I,m not sure about the buildings.........

Kurt said...

ps:
Tony, FYI: I just got a spam email from your aol.com account. It appears it has been "compromised."

Tattered and Lost said...

I too received one of these hacking spam emails asking for money. It says you're in Turkey and need money after being robbed. They ask for a reply.

Phil

  Phil died early in the morning of Sunday 17th March at home with his Wife Iris by his side.