Friday, May 06, 2016

rustic fences & and sepia sheep.



A photo I took on   Saturday in   the  middle  of Halifax's 4    day International Street Market.
More images  https://zimnoch.smugmug.com/Dropbox/Halifax-7th-May-2016/
 This is a sepia saturday post.My take on the theme is rustic rural fences & sheep.
As a child West Yorkshire sheep were  sepia due to all the pollution  from the  mill chimney smoke. Whenever   travelling, i could exactly  calibrate   distance from   home ,  by   the ever changing  shades in their fleece.   Essentially,Yorkshire sheep were the first SatNav's............
 

1994.My family's farm in  Poland.My Uncle Czeszek  with my son Chris (left):his grandchildren Marek & Mereck
2006: a photo taken by Chris on the Moors above Hebden Bridge.
1994:my photo of  Marek +chicken:Uncle Czeszek   with rustic fence behind......


We go out drinking in Mytholmroyd tonight.
https://zimnoch.smugmug.com/Dropbox/Mytholmroyd-6th-May-2016/

11 comments:

Barbara said...

Is that true – about the sheep? I had no idea, but then I’m from Somerset (originally Buckinghamshire with a quick stop (35 years) in Hampshire on the way down)!

Kurt said...

If I was rich, I would pop over to London and see Martin Carthy at The Ivy House on May 27. It looks like a nice venue. Could you go in my stead and post pics and music?

tony said...

I will try my best Kurt .Ive seen Martin a couple times in the past..by the way, Donovan plays 2 dates in Hebden Bridge in July! How Cool Is That!Barbara ..yea ,when i was a kid our sheep were deeply grey..,even in the countryside ,the pollution was that bad!

Helen Killeen Bauch McHargue said...

The sheep satnav is incredible. Always enjoy your musical choices.

La Nightingail said...

That is rather interesting about the changing shades of the sheep's wool.

Kristin said...

Hope the pollution has dropped since then.

Little Nell said...

Thank goodness the sheep now have nice clean fleeces! I remember sheep coughing on the hills behind our house in Kendal when I was a child , but I don’t recall their colour. I suspect there wasn’t quite so muh pollution there.

Jofeath said...

Sepia sheep due to pollution is a worry, hopefully better now.

Mike Brubaker said...

Lovely imagery, Tony. Sepia sheep in 50 shades of gray. Calibrated for hue and saturation according to altitude and GPS position. Rounded up by colorblind dogs who can smell the varieties of ash and coal dust.

North County Film Club said...

I enjoyed traveling and drinking with you on the slideshow. Also enjoyed the music. Your sheep were sepia toned mine (in my blog) were defaced by branding.
Barbara Finwall

Bob Scotney said...

North Yorkshire sheep have never been sepia in all the time we have lived here.

Phil's Birthday

  My friend of 60 years Phil got married just a week ago to Iris . (He died last Sunday ) .  Today was Phil's Birthday . We went o...