Thursday, May 31, 2018

i blame the hippy at southport station who came up to me & said he knew where I could buy some "cheap grass".......



" Despite all this, I have sympathy for the obsessive photographers........ it’s easy to feel that a memory isn’t evidence enough that something happened. It’s too dreamlike......."
Me & Chris on the road through  Sheranozy (photo taken by Cathy)

The French are so full of shit.
The two most famous things about France are "The  Guillotine" and The   Champs-Elysees,
. right?
Turns out, they were both stolen from the English. 
The Guillotine was invented in
Halifax Yorkshire.
The  Boulevards of Paris  were the brain child of  Louis Napoleon who was exiled  in Southport in 1838. 
He lived near   Lord Street , and when he returned to France he remodeled the city to look like that bit of Lancashire!
https://www.theguardian.com/theguardian/2000/apr/25/guardianleaders





Two further twists for me.
  • I was born on Lord Street in Halifax.
  •  Once, when visting my Dad's birthplace in Eastern Poland my family proudly showed me the village's one & only Historical Landmark.
 "Look" they said excitedly.I looked where they pointed, but saw nothing but a barren ,empty dirt track. "that" they said "is where "Napoleon's Army marched through on the way to Russia..."
Sometime, you cant see history?

2 comments:

Sackerson said...

Thinking of that track reminded me... When I lived in Boothtown years ago people would still give you directions like "turn right at the old swimming baths". The fact they'd been pulled down years ago didn't seem to matter at all.

tony said...

I remember those old Baths..(I used to swim there as a kid.....)you cant get memories off a SatNav!

All The Young Dudes

  Me ,in white,  throwing some glorious "Sid Viscous Shapes" :)