Friday, May 27, 2011

a cool cat with a hat.

Sora van Brummelen

My photo is taken from a blog called Vintage Photography that I came across this week.
(Not to be confused with the livejournal blog Vintage Photographs that  has been  previously mentioned on these pages.)
This is a Sepia Saturday post.
What I want to know is who took the photo & where were they standing?
Me & Cathy went to Manchester Art Gallery today ( plus another delicious-albeit it wind -inducing meal at The Manchester Buddhist Center )
I was fucking blown away by the  Grayson Perry Exhibition.Bloody Brilliant! I laughed out loud while looking at it ( turns out, he used to take Acid.I think ,on my part, it was the shock of recognition?)............Previous to today, I only knew him from the telly.I thought him some sad old bloke in bad makeup & frocks, but Mr Perry is a Wizard.He is a True Star!
Grayson Perry's 7ft by 2ft etching "Print for a Politician" has been bought by the contemporary collection at the House of Commons..." Read More>>>>
You can see my photos from the day here

Below.a very small detail of Grayson Perry's "Print For A Politician"   I took a photo of...........

A Word To The Wise. FOPP are currently selling PJ Harvey's LET ENGLAND SHAKE CD For £5!

As You Will Gather ,I am much taken with Miss Polly.I Have Been Embedding Her To Death Here Recently ! Enough...........! :)
Meanwhile & Finally, back in The Land of Sepia..........
.."In the late 1880s, the body of a 16-year-old girl was pulled from the Seine. She was apparently a suicide, as her body showed no marks of violence, but her beauty and her enigmatic smile led a Paris pathologist to order a plaster death mask of her face.


In the romantic atmosphere of fin de siècle Europe the girl’s face became an ideal of feminine beauty. The protagonist of Rainer Maria Rilke’s 1910 novel The Notebooks of Malte Laurids Brigge writes, “The mouleur, whose shop I pass every day, has hung two plaster masks beside his door. [One is] the face of the young drowned woman, which they took a cast of in the morgue, because it was beautiful, because it smiled, because it smiled so deceptively, as if it knew.”


Ironically, in 1958 the anonymous girl’s features were used to model the first-aid mannequin Rescue Annie, on which thousands of students have practiced CPR. Though the girl’s identity remains a mystery, her face, it’s said, has become “the most kissed face of all time.”

If I were very clever I would suggest that the above tale was a cunning metaphor for the Tory changes to the N.H.S. .........
"Hebden Bridge Website","Hebden Bridge Blog".

39 comments:

Martin H. said...

The secret is in the hat.

Zuzana said...

Ok, I am experiencing some serious vertigo here.;))
Love the image though. Is that a camera he is holding?
Have a great weekend tony,
xoxo

Rog said...

I would be sh.....aking myself.

Perhaps that's what the bowler hat's for?

LadyCat said...

Cool image! But lookimg at it makes my heart race a litle...scary : )

Bob Scotney said...

Mad Hatter! Definitely not a cat sat on a mat.

Kate Hanley said...

Great photo made me queasy though as I'm afraid of heights.

Little Nell said...

Yes, I agree, makes me feel distinctly dizzy. Reminds me of that film; “Man on Wire”.

Betsy said...

Brave cat, I'd say!

Brian Miller said...

ugh, one wrong move...

www.dakotaboo.com said...

cool cat, or crazy cat?

Akelamalu said...

Ah, I see now why you think my Flash 55 goes well with your picture. :)

Art and Vintage said...

Thank you for posting my picture! I'm glad you enjoy it :)

tony said...

A Pleasure!Hat-Tips All 'Round!:)

Roy said...

I'[ve been known to go to great lengths for a good shot, but heights are a different story altogether!

Postcardy said...

Unreal! Is he missing a leg?

Rosie said...

Living on the edge I would say..........

mouse (aka kimy) said...

i've been known to go to some lengths to snap a picture, but nothing like this fellow!

and that camera isn't small and portable either!

Howard said...

The photo of the photographer is terrifying, I can't even stand on a chair. I love the Grayson Perry picture too.

Danny said...

i am also intrigued by Mr Perry, but have as yet not done much digging...his get-up is alluring to the weird side of me, which, as i'm sure you know by now Tony, is deep and expansive!

i am so afraid of heights, i don't even like looking at the photo up top. and as for imagining where the other photographer is standing...argh!

MuseSwings said...

The first photo scared me half to death. Thanks for linking Mr. Perry to his bio - which contains a great link with pictures of the two things he is most famous for - his amazing vases and his spectacular cross dressing. Brilliant post. The labels on his picture are so interesting. The helecopter - with what looks like a menacing maching gun says " childless couples" on it. What's that all about?

Kristin said...

wonder what his photograph looked like. His other leg is bent and resting on the far side of the scaffold.

Kurt said...

It seems I have wind-inducing meals every day.

blackwatertown said...

So... I presume that was the last picture that photographer ever took?

(Queenmothermamaw) Peggy said...

Wow gives me the heevie jeevies. I see both his legs. Guess he would do anything for a good shot. Very interesting.
QMM

TICKLEBEAR said...

i have "kissed" RESCUE ANNIE, circa 1987....

as for the first pic, the photographer captured the guy as his folded parachute sent him crashing down to the ground...

;)~
HUGZ

tony said...

Yea,I kissed Annie several times. too.Lord! Once, 'could have sworn I saw her eyes flicker!

Teresa Evangeline said...

Isn't it fun, to discover more of what's behind an artist and their work? Love the print for politicians, the evangelicals next to the Rastafarians. Lovely.

The drowned girl as Resusci-Annie is intriguing. She always creeped me out, but I think it's quite lovely that she has been immortalized, sort of.

Christine H. said...

Annie was indeed lovely. AS for that first photo, it makes me feel a little queasy, but the P.J. Harvey piece made me feel better.

Susan said...

The Glorious Land is my favorite song from PJ's record--the ultimate diss, although "The Words that Maketh Murder" is a close second.

What a great blog you have! I am now following you, leaving all my worldly goods...that sort of thing.

tony said...

Thanks You Susan.You Are A Shrewd Judge Of Character!

Alan Burnett said...

There's another exhibition for my bucket list - thanks Tony.

savethephotos said...

As others have said, it makes me anxious and my stomach in knots if I sit and look at the photo, wow and then I blew it up and just had the shivers, love it though!

Cro Magnon said...

Mr Perry is a wizard. I love all of him; pots, frocks, and prints.

Dare I admit, but I also used to buy the IT. I even went to their 2nd birthday party at The Roundhouse.

Tess Kincaid said...

I love Grayson Perry, but I'm fascinated with the smiling drowned woman. Can't stop staring at her.

nick said...

I adore Grayson Perry. What a shame I'm not closer to Manchester. He's very funny too, he was a hoot on Have I Got News For You. Totally un-pompous and sharp as a razor.

California Girl said...

Glad I visited. This is a most entertaining and informative post! I was enjoying the Grayson Perry work but it was eclipsed by the story of the death mask and CPR Annie. I learned on one of those. No wonder she looked so peculiar.

Thanks for visiting my blog too.

Kirsty said...

Love that photo.

chachaberry said...

can't believe you have been reading my blog :P Im gonna read yours from now on but I admit I dont always understand what u're talking about, Im a foreigner! x)

tony said...

Ah Chachaberry, a lot of English-speakers face the same problem!