Thursday, July 16, 2015

some pigs pushing some dogs in the mud

I will begin this post by sending my love to all my Muslim friends.Happy EID! 
  this week's sepia saturday post prompt is " pigs.....or possibly butchers, or shops, or men in aprons .... or hats (well, pigskin hats).." 
 I'm happy to oblige .
Albeit that the Muslim Festival of Eid is happening  this weekend , which makes for unfortunate timing, but never mind......
i dont have any pigs and suchlike in my personal collection.(I,ve been pork scratching all week, too no avail) But I found me a couple of images from other places instead.
The first photo is an  opportunity to introduce you to Andrew Simpson's blog   Now Andrew is a prolific historical blogger from Greater Manchester.
He posts most days.A real gem of a blogspot.
Please visit him and say "hello".
1903-1911 Mr Unsworth the Meat Purveyor at. Number 2 Chorlton Green .

My second photo (nicked from someone else's facebook) is of the 1970 Krumlin Festival.
Now I,ve spoken several times here before[ *My previous posts on Krumlin*]
Oh Jesus!Those wacky sepian  olden days! When it was always muddy & "rapid response units" had yet be invented....
AS a Postscript.....while decorating  this week's post i came across this sepia image on facebook.I  think most Sepiaologists will find it achingly poignant......

7 comments:

Jo Featherston said...

Ha ha, had to think about your second photo for a minute or two. A disaster like that could never happen here at Australian festivals, although Woodford Festival in SE Queensland between Xmas and New Year could well come close weatherwise, as they often get a lot of rain, combined with high heat and humidity, but it still continues annually and the many 1000s of camping attendees don't seem to mind. I much prefer the National Folk Festival in Canberra each Easter, and smaller local festivals.

Brett Payne said...

Most appropriate, even if they aren't your own, the sentiments are.

Wendy said...

In the US, "pig" is a derogatory slang term for the police. Is that term used in other countries too?

tony said...

Yes Wendy in England..at least/especially English Hippyish people in the 70s

Mike Brubaker said...

Great images. When I lived in London years ago I used to marvel that the Yellow Pages had listings for "Sawdust, Purveyor". Then I discovered the old style butchers who used sawdust on their floors.
The Beatles White Album song "Piggies" came to mind with your second photo.
Your postscript is definitely a real lost and found soul.

Alan Burnett said...

Kremlin memories, Joni Mitchell and an introduction to a new blog. Now that is what I call value for money in a blog. Off to check out Andrew's blog now ...

Barbara Rogers said...

Glad to see comments which brought the "police as pigs" back to mind. How common the term was in my vocabulary in the 70s, along with "Right on."