Pages

Saturday, January 23, 2016

the cat steps..........


nice news  re:The Cat Steps (near Clover Hill in Halifax )  Historic England ( Part of English Heritage) have decided that an application for the listing of it  should be taken forward for a full assessment.
Fingers crossed!!
Now.My late Mum lived on  Clover Hill  for several years in the latter part of her life. But my most vivid memories of it are of  walking  as a 10/  11 year old .travelling  alone down it.Mostly on a Sunday morning, 9  to 10 am.....
At that particular time I was losing my (Catholic) religion. 'Telling my Mam & Dad I was walking to church for Sunday Mass......but ,often, i took sacraments on those Cat Steps instead.......without telling a soul.... 
A 30 minute walk.In the middle of town.Yet often (especially on a Sunday morning ) you saw nobody else.So Silent.So Hidden.Mystical in   retrospect...... Beautiful meadows & drystone wall.Splendid Memories.......