Thursday, August 03, 2017

have you herd?

So. There was this dream.........a couple of nights ago. We arrived to find  my late mother ,Marjory.Dressed up in her finest. Looking very determined  " I Mean Business " she said,firmly.........looking like a castle with a scar across her shoulder....

"After the advent of Christianity, the goat or God Pan with his beard, cloven hoofs and horns, later became associated as the unofficial image of the devil........"gnosticwarrior.com/goat.html
This week's  sepia saturday
topic is around the theme of "goats".(Ummm...that's what I herd, anyway.......)
 So where to go with this one?
While I pondered this problem  ( not having any sepia goats myself,on my person )  i went on facebook for alternative  inspiration.
I visited a page that posts old photos of Halifax.A few years back i found an old photo of my Mum (working in a Infant nursey ) there..........  that i never knew existed!
This morning I may have found another?
Its taken inside St Mary's church on Gibbet Street in Halifax.It's   of a  Polish Mass  sometime in the 1970's. The priest holding the service is Father Gaik.
Now, I may be mistaken but the figure on the far right,back row,(black hair:brown top)  looks very much like my Mum!Maybe it;s not her at all?It's just that there is something about the way she holds her body,reminds me her.
I dont know if this possibility makes me happy  or sad........?
Pondering this ,while  in Bradford this morning on business.Having an hour to kill at lunchtime. I walked around
Little_Germany[wikipedia] 
Hoping to find some goats carved or painted somewhere .No Joy, although i did capture some splendid William Morris stainglass windows & fabrics.albeit,goatless..........


https://zimnoch.smugmug.com/Little-Germany-Bradford-Cathedral3rdAugust-2017/ By pure chance,i was later at a meeting in Halifax this afternoon...a 100 yards from where i lived as a child with my Mum& Dad.After the meeting I took a few extra photos of the building i knew best as a child......

18 comments:

Jofeath said...

You could claim that your second photo fits the bill, because children and baby goats can both be known as kids. Is that why you subtly included that photo?

tony said...

Ha!Good point Jo . It was so subtle even I didnt realise 'till you said! :)

ScotSue said...

I too liked Jo's point about "kids" and you have such an enjoyable inventive way of writing to each week's theme!

tony said...

Thank You Sue

Unknown said...

I'm still groaning over "that's what I herd..." Good one, Tony! Good one!

tony said...

Nay Lass...... :)

Mike Brubaker said...

Is feeling "goatless" a good thing or bad thing? I suppose it depends on ones perspective. Too many or too few goats could be both blessing or curse.

tony said...

My Nan's lifework was the search for the optimum number of goats... ....

Tattered and Lost said...

That's wonderful that you found the definite shot of your mom. I admit that I have spent considerable time on ebay looking for photos of anyone affiliated with the Pennsylvania Railroad in hopes of finding a photo of my grandfather. I have no images of him in the cab of his engines, but I have memories of him coming home from work carrying his black lunch pail and an empty thermos. He, and everything else, was covered in soot.

Kristin said...

Those children have such pink cheeks. and I bet that was a photo of your mother in church.

tony said...

Yes Kristin , you get a hunch & feeling about people important to you.Their body language :the way they hold themself:the spaces they put themselves into ( for example, my Mum would often sit in the same church pew as in my photo...).Even the spaces they tried to avoid!

tony said...

T&L Memory is the Best Camera!

Tattered and Lost said...

They really are. And that's what I think life is about, making memories.

tony said...

Plus,memory is extremely malleable ..it can change.'be pressed & shaped by the present .

Equally,
sadly,
it can evaporate (eg Dementia)
Which is another reason why photography can be our reliable witness.

L. D. said...

Legos that the kids are playing with also kept my now grown boys, kids, busy for hours. You can't get into disagreements with siblings when you are concentrating on blocks.

tony said...

Keeping Hands + Minds occupied since 1949 !

Little Nell said...

Love your mum in the Nursery, I had a nursery in the primary school of which I was Head. One day my parents visited and it was lovely to see my Mum with the tinies (she was in herearly 80s then) and yes, I do have a photo of that.

tony said...

Yes,Nell,that meeting between very different generations is always beautiful to see.

Phil's Birthday

  My friend of 60 years Phil got married just a week ago to Iris . (He died last Sunday ) .  Today was Phil's Birthday . We went o...