Friday, June 22, 2018

the devil's harvest

This week's sepia saturday is themed around "farms"& "agriculture" "harvest"
My dad's family come from the eastern Polish city of Białystok . It is a big (rather primitive) agricultural region.
The first image (a still from a 1990 home movie) is of a conversation i was having with  an old  family neighbour ( he was a tad drunk himself here!)
He is , telling me a rather gruesome story about how another  village local ,in the winter of 1943  got so drunk one night that he tried to stagger home in the dark but ,tripped alone and fell into a well.
After a mass search, he was found drowned  the next next morning
. The Devil's Harvest perhaps....?
This second image I took (also in 1990) on the family farm.......
My Cousin Marak & Uncle Czesek.
Finally , a home movie I took in 1965. It begins & ends with a few brief shots of my Dad & Mum.Inbetween, my Uncle collecting the honey.


image: me in The Blue Teapot in Mytholmroyd on Wednesday. audio: live Gateshead, Tyne and Wear, UK; May 14, 2018.Sara Watkins, Sarah Jarosz and Aoife O’Donovan.
 "Pangaea" (the title of this song) refers to  is  hypothetical supercontinent that included all current land masses, believed to have been in existence before the continents broke apart........
Finally.I was sad to hear that Danny Kirwan died on June 8.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Kirwan 
I saw him play live several times.He saw difficult times (eg he ended up homeless & sleeping rough on the streets of London.)
Not a good look.
 Here he is in his pomp playing with Fleetwood Mac in Seattle,March 10.1972.
( In the context of this post,forgive the pun. "Oh well" )

6 comments:

Molly of Molly's Canopy said...

Great photos! And love the video of you, your parents and uncle (including the cameo by the fly crossing the camera lens :-) This is a reminder to me to start getting my inherited videos digitized. Any tips?

tony said...

Thanks Molly. All our 60's Cinefilm were transfered to VHS in the 80's .From there, I converted to digital in the early 2000's.( and then,in this case, onto YouTube.) I have a machine ION VCR 2 PC that does the trick.....though ,no doubt, quality gets diminished each transfer?

tony said...

My the way, you can see a few more of my Polish Films HERE:

La Nightingail said...

Nice picture of you a few years ago. But a rather sad tale you were being told at the time. Just goes to show how too much alcohol can be a hazard to your health!

smkelly8 said...

Good post. You're right about the "devil's harvest." Sadly, I bet his demise was fairly common.

Kathy said...

I've been getting some old 8mm films converted recently. Found someone to do it for me because that's way out of my skills. Unfortunately, some were already quite brittle. We have had a recent scare by honey bees swarming us thinking our home would be quite delightful for a hive. And quite a few found their way into the house! Happy to say they have moved on. It would be lovely to have fresh honey though.

All The Young Dudes

  Me ,in white,  throwing some glorious "Sid Viscous Shapes" :)